What is "FRACTION" ?
- A fraction is a number written in the form: N/D. Where N is called "NUMERATOR" and D is called the "DENOMINATOR".
- It also expresses part of a group.
-If the fractions have the same denominator, their sum is the sum of the numerators over the denominator. We do not add the denominators. But we can reduce it if necessary.
3/8 + 2/8 = 5/8
- However, if the fractions have different denominators:
1) First, find the Least Common Denominator or LCD.
2) Then write equivalent fractions using this denominator.
3) Add the fractions. Reduce if necessary.
3/4 + 1/6 = ?
The Least Common Denominator(LCD) is 12.
3/4 + 1/6 = 9/12 + 2/12 = 11/12.
2/3 + 2/7 = ?
The Least Common Denominator(LCD) is 21
2/3 + 2/7 = 14/21 + 6/21 = 20/21
===>>> If there is something wrong with my report, you are welcome to write a comment.....:)