Thursday, December 14, 2006

Andrea's Percentage Growing Post =)



Question 1:

What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition.

A percent is a ratio whose second term is 100. Percent means parts per hundred. The word percent comes from the Latin phrase per centum, which means per hundred. In mathematics, we use the symbol % for percent.



---

Question 2:
How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.

They are all the same because...

» If you express 3/5 into a decimal, the answer will be 0.6. How? We divide 3 to 5 to get 0.6.

» If you express 3/5 into a ratio, the answer will be 3:2. How? The numerator becomes the first part of the ratio, and the denominator is being subtracted to the numerator (5-3 = 2).

» If you express 0.6 into a percent, it will be 60%. How? To change a decimal to a percent, we multiply by 100. This is the same as moving the decimal point two places to the right. To change the decimal 0.6 to a percent, we move the decimal point two places to the right and get 60%.




So 3/5, 3:2, 60% and 0.6 are all equivalents!
---

Question 3:
Show three different ways to find 35% of 80.

a.)
35% of 80
80 Divided By 100 = 0.8 or 1%
35% x 1% = 35%
35% x 0.8 = 28

35/100 = 28/80

b.)
100% - 35% = 65%
65% = 0.65
0.65 x 80 = 52
80 - 52 = 28

c.)
35% = 0.35
80 Divided By 0.35
= 28




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



---

Question 4:
Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link here with a review (what the post was talking about, yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post, too).

Check this out. It talks about...

» How to change a percent into a decimal
» How to change a decimal into a percent
» And how to change a percent into a fraction.

The post shows pictures-slash-diagrams to make us understand more.
---

Question 5:
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms. Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms. Stanzi said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms. Stanzi be correct? Why or Why not.

After reading the question, I came up with two scenarios:

a.) Ms. Stanzi could be right if she has more students than Ms. Lowrey. No matter how many students (in percent) Ms. Lowrey has, Ms. Stanzi's class would still have greater number of students that met their reading goals.

b.) On the other hand, Ms. Stanzi might not be right if she has the same number of students as Ms. Lowrey's. Then Ms. Lowrey's class would have the greater number of students because 55% of those have done their reading goals, according to the principal.

---

Question 6:
Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means, solve it.

a) 16 is 40% of what number?




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



I got 40 as an answer because:

First, I changed 40% into a decimal. The answer is 0.4 (I removed the zero at the end). Secondly, I divided 16 to 0.4, which gave me the answer 40.


b) What is 120% of 30?

We have to fill one whole grid and another 20 little squares on another grid to make 120. One grid consists a hundred teeny, weeny, itsy, bitsy little sqaures.

We all know that one grid is equal to 30.

120% of 30
30 Divided By 100 = 0.3 (is equal to 1%)
120% x 1% = 120%
120% x 0.3 = 36






This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



Therefore, 120% of 30 is 36.
---

Question 7:
Marked other assignments and left mark as comments. (You must leave links in your growing post on the posts that you have marked.) There may only be two marks per student. If that student already has 2 marks you must choose another. ;)

[Mark as many as you want..]

I chose to mark Boeun's, Rivka's, Jorel's, Camille's and Michael's Growing Post.

Now I am marking my own growing post:

Setup
5/5
Comments: I have the right title and I think I chose colours that made the questions different from my answers.

Question 1
10/10
Comments: I think I did pretty good on this part since it was my first time to use the software, Gliffy. Plus, I added a written (I mean typed) definition of percent.

Question 2
10/10
Comments: I'd give myself a 10 because I spent time (and effort) to make the picture look nice and I gave a pretty good explanation about the equivalents.

Question 3
9/10
Comments: I think I did well on the Bubbleshare (and since it's my first time to use such a software). But I think I need to give more details.

Question 4
5/5
Comments: Good choice of site. And I think I did my best on the explaining part to make it longer, but that's all I can say about that site.

Question 5
10/10
Comments: I really, really exerted effort on finding the right words that fits in this question. And I think I explained it well.

Question 6
14/15
Comments: I made a diagram to make it understandable. And I did my best explaining on how I found the answer. But still, I think I am lack of details.

Overall Mark
63/65
Overall Comment for the Growing Post: I gave myself a pretty good score because I did a lot of work and I spent lots of time. I did everything I can in explaining and exerted lots of effort in doing the diagrams in Bubbleshare and Gliffy. But I promise to improve my explanations next time.
---


Thank you for giving me a chance to answer this growing post. I learned a lot. I hope you learned something, too. Feel free to comment! :)

11 comments:

Mr. H said...

Andrea you have been part of our class for under a week. This is amazing. Thank you for putting so much effort into your work.

This is great

Harbeck

ANDREATRiA . said...

Thanks Mr. H for the encouraging comment.

I am doing the best I can. :D

Thanks again! =)

-Andrea

Anonymous said...

Wow, i really liked your grwoing post Andrea. I feel like you are ahead of me!!:P
Keep up the good works!!

charmaine-c said...

greaaat post andrea ! (:

ANDREATRiA . said...

hahaha thanks boeun && charmaine. i am psyched. lol. :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ANDREATRiA . said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ANDREATRiA . said...

thanks a lot boeun for ur helful comment. i'll go change my font colors now. lol. and I did make my diagram in question no.1 in gliffy. XD =)

Anonymous said...

Setup
5/5
Comments: Well done with labling.

Question 1
8/10
Comments: You had to put Gliffy or Bubbleshare.

Question 2
8/10
Comments: I don't know if your picture is Gliffy or not because I can't see on my computer. I'll change your mark later if the picture was from Gliffy or in Bubbleshare.

Question 3
9/10
Comments: For this question, I think you could add some details. Add some explanations how you got that answer.

Question 4
4/5
Comments: I would tell more about how they solved problems or what they could improve on.

Question 5
8/10

Question 6
14/15

Overall Mark
59/65
Overall Comment for the Growing Post:
Wow! You are catching up so fast! I think you should explain more about your answer. For example, how you got that answer and why do you think that is the right answer. Keep up the good work!!

ANDREATRiA . said...

ok boeun thanks for marking my post. awwww lol. and, it really is from GLIFFY!!! promise!! =) lol thanks agen ! happy holidays!!