Monday, December 04, 2006

Boeun's scribe for December 4th

ScribeBadge11

Today, we handed in our equivalent stuff that we did maybe since October. Anyways, you had to hand in the followings:

1. Equivalent chart

2. Big paper (Fractions, Decimals, Percentage, Ratios)

3. Quiz

4. Equivalent assignment 1 (1-9)

5. Equivalent assignment 2 (number line)

6. Equivalent assignment 3 (4 mini number lines)

7. Pre test

8. Test

Those are only the beginnings. After handing in our equivalent stuffs, we did a mind map of PERCENT. We had to tell Mr. Harbeck what were our thoughts, but it just didn't work so he showed us what other classes had done.

< - click!! This is a mind map that I created from the other classes and today's class. After those, he gave us 3 questions about percent.

I just made this bubbleshare from what I have put on Gliffy.



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog




1. What do you know about 50 %?


- divisible by 2 and 5
- half of a whole
- 0.5 is 50%
- 1:1 is 50%
- 5/20 is 50% -> 20 ÷ 10 (you divide by 2 get 50%)

2. What do you know about 25%?

- divisible by 5
- half of 50%
- 1/4 of a whole
- 5/20 is 25% -> 20 ÷ 10 (you divide by 10 get 25%)
- 0.25 is 25%
- 1:3 is 25%

3. What do you know about 10%?

- divisible by 2 and 5
- half of 50%
- 1/10 of whole
- 2/20 is 10% -> 20 ÷ 2 (you divide by 2 to get 10%)
- 0.1 is 10%
- 1:9 is 10%

This bubble share is just showing you what are 50%,25% and 10 is with 2 pictures each.



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog




In British English, percent is usually written as two words (per cent). In American English, percent is the most common variant. In the early part of the twentieth century, there was a dotted abbreviation form "per cent.", as opposed to "per cent". The form "per cent." is still in use as a part of the highly formal language found in certain documents like commercial loan agreements (particularly those subject to, or inspired by, common law), as well as in the Hansard transcripts of British Parliamentary proceedings. While the term has been attributed to Latin per centum, this is a pseudo-Latin construction and the term was likely originally adopted from Italian per cento or French pour cent. The concept of considering values as parts of a hundred is originally Greek. The symbol for percent (%) evolved from a symbol abbreviating the Italian per cento.

And almost finally, we had homework that's due next day. (December 5th/06 Day 5)

Tell me (Mr. Harbeck) how to do the following:

1% of 300 and 85
10% of 300 and 85
15% of 300 and 85
25% of 300 and 85
50% of 300 and 85
75% of 300 and 85


I almost forgot.. I found some websites that are talking about percents.

Those are...

1. http://www.aaaknow.com/pct.htm#topic3

*2. http://www.mathleague.com/help/percent/percent.htm#whatisapercent

3. http://www.math.com/school/subject1/lessons/S1U1L7GL.html#sm6

* A website that has information about PROBABILITY and PERCENTS.

Finally, I'm done. So, I'll choose Shawn as a next scribe.

oh and by the way, I posted a comment on this post. I really liked how they used pictures and colors to make people understand more easier.
http://apcalc06.blogspot.com/2006/11/scribe-post-day-52.html

11 comments:

'alyssaaa' said...

awesomee job! the color and the pictures (wait theres only one...) xDD u even got links on percentages. yeahh! =D keep it up.

Anonymous said...

thats a really good blog!you did a great job! i like the picture you can click!
Teagan

maryrose said...

wow boeun your scribe is so colourful. i like the sites that you picked, and you put lots of info.. what an excellent job you did. i love your post! ;)

Smiliies said...

Hey Boeun, nice post you made there =) It's very colourful and very understandable. So overall, I really like your post and way to go!

Mr. H said...

Boeun this is a nice scribe. Could you add a bubbleshare to better explain parts of it?


I like how you used gliffy for your definition.

Harbeck

Anonymous said...

What an awesome way to use a blog with your class. I hope to be able to adapt your idea to my middle school classes. Great site!
Lisa B.

Mr. H said...

thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of having a student blog on the day. I may try it! Thanks! Mrs.C

Christina said...

I have tried for several years with limited success to use a scribe system to track missed work. I never even thought about tracking it online! I am going to try it next school year and I imagine my high school students will be more enthusiastic about it.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I only wish i understood how and why!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I will try to incorporate this to help students keep track, give them a sense of accountability, and organization! Thanks!