Monday, December 18, 2006

Janna's Percentage Growing Post


Question 1:
What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition.



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog





Question 2:



How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog



Question 3: Show 3 different ways to find 35% of 80.



This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog





Question 4:
Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link with a review (What the post was talking about....yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post) Hint In the side bar there are links to other schools. Three of them have done work on percentages!


I comented on Click! but they have to accept it first. Their post that I read talked about how they used money to explain percents. They did a really good job on their explanations!


Question 5:
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms Stanzi said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms Stanzi be correct? Why or Why not.

Ms.Stanzi could have more children in her class than Ms.Lowery. So
Ms. Stanzi could be correct. She could be correct because she might have more kids than Ms. Lowrey. If Ms. Stanzi had 36 kids in her class and Ms. Lowrey had 20 kids in her class, Ms. Stanzi would have 13 children that have met their reading goal of the month because 36 divided by 2 equals 13 or 50%. Ms. Lowrey would have 10 children that had met their reading goal because 20 divided by 2 is 10. Ms. Stanzi could be correct.

Ms. Stanzi and Ms. Lowery could have the same number of children in their classes. Then Ms. Stanzi could be Wrong. For an example they could both have 40 kids in their classes. Then Ms. Stanzi would have 20 kids in her class who met their goal. Ms. Lowery would have about 21 22 23 kids who met their goal.




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog


Question 6: Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means solve it.

a) 16 is 40% of what number?

Formula:

Take 16(since it is worth 40%) and put it over the percentage(40%) to get a fraction. 16 over 40. Then divide the numerator by the denominator to get a decimal(0.4). Multiply the decimal(0.4) by 100 to get the total. 0.4 x 100 = 40(move the decimal to the left 2 times since there are two 0's in 100). Now to check it. If your not sure how to watch the bubble share I created.






This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog





b) What is 120% of 30?
Formula:
Divide 30 by 100 = 0.3( Just move the decimal 2 places to the left since there are 2 0's in 100)
0.3 = 1% (multiply 1%(0.3) by your other % which is 120%)
0.3 x 120 = 36
120% of 30 = 36




This album is powered by
BubbleShare
- Add to my blog
I did my self assesment(still waiting on two others to asses my work). I marked Thyrza May's work it was done super well.Click 8-41 on here then see here growing post. I also marked Rainer's work who did an awesome job. Click 8-73 Math Blog (2006). Both of these student did an amazing job. If you need help doing your growing post go and check these two out. (but don't copy).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Self Assesment:

Set up: 5/5
Comments: I had all of the right information.

Question 1: 10/10
Comments: I used th web with percent in the middle. I used a word explanation with pictures and numbers/symbols.

Question 2: 10/10
Comments: I gave extra effort by adding voice clips in it.

Question 3: 10/10
Comments: I added special photos and showed it with voice clips.

Question 4: 5/5
Comments: I made a very good comment in their blog and learned a few new things about percents.

Question 5: 10/10
Comments: I used two explainations of how she could be wrong or right. I used voice in my picture from bubbleshare.

Question 6: 15/15
Comments: I explained the way of how to get the answer. I added an extra part by adding how to check your work.

My total assement adds up to 65 /65.

Maxine said...

Assessment:

Setup:
5/5
comment: You followed the rules for the rubric.

Question 1:
8/10
comment: nice job with the Bubbleshare but you should explain it in a paragraph maybe.

Question 2:
8/10
comment:in your Bubbleshare you can't really she what you wrote even though i'm sure it's good but also try and explain it in words.

Question 3:
10/10
comment:you explained it very well. good job!

Question 4:
5/5
comment:you gave a website and you told what it deals with and that's just what your supposed to do.

Question 5:
10/10
comment:you explained your self really well and you showed in a Bubbleshare how you got it.

Question 6:
15/15
comment: you showed how you got it in words and pictures.

Overall Mark:
61/65
Excellent Work!