What is a good definition of percent? You should use words symbols, pictures and numerical examples in your definition.
A percent is an equivalent fraction out of 100. It can be converted into a fraction, decimal and ratio and is part of a whole. The percent sign (%) means that whatever number is chosen, is out of 100 because there are to 0's in the percent sign. If you dont know what a percent is still here are some examples of what a percent is on a picture:
A picture if you still do not understand the definition of a percent.
How are three fifths (3/5), 3:2, 60% and 0.6 all the same? Use pictures and words to show your answer.
The reason why 3/5, 3:2, 60% and 0.6 are all the same or equivalent, because say if you try to first convert 3/5 into a decimal, you'd get 0.6. The way you get 0.6 is that you divide the numerator (3) by the denominator (5) and you'd get 0.6.
If you then converted 0.6 into a percent you'd get 60%, because percent is out of 100 and in this case we have 60% and 0.6 x 100 = 60.
Finally if you convert 3/5 into a ratio, it would be expressed as 3:2 because the numerator (3) is put as the first part of the ratio which is also 3 and then to get the second part of the right side of the ratio, you subtract the denominator(5) by the numerator(3) - (5-3 = 2) and you get the second part of the ratio and in this case the second part would be 2. The equivalent ratio for 3/5 would be 3:2.
- Add to my
Show 3 different ways to find 35% of 80.
1) 80 /100 - (total divided by 100 or whole) = 0.8 or 1%
0.8 x 35 (35%) = 28 = (35% of 80 is 28)
2) 80 / 100 - ( total divided by 100 or a whole ) = 0.8 or 1%
0.8 x 10 (10%) = 8
0.8 x 10 (10%) = 8
0.8 x 10 (10%) = 8
0.8 x 5 (5%) = 4
8 + 8 + 8 + 4 = 28/80 (28 = 35%)
10 + 10 + 10 + 5 = 35/100 (35 = 35%)
3) 80 / 100 - ( total divided by 100 or a whole ) = 0.8 or 1%
0.8 x 25 (25%) = 20
0.8 x 10 (10%) = 8
20 + 8 = 28/80 (28 = 35%)
25 + 10 = 35/100 (35 = 35%)
Find a link to blogs that deal with percentages. Leave a comment behind and add the link with a review ( What the post was talking about ... yes you have to read the post and why others should read the post ) Hint in the side bar there are links to other schools. Three of them have done work on percentages!
This is the post commented on : http://linden8m.blogspot.com/
This post shows you how to convert a percent into a decimal, a decimal to percent and percent to a fraction. This post was explained very well and it helped to understand better how to convert decimals, percents and fractions because that percent had very good detailed explanations and good clear pictures that helps you understand how to convert in a more better way. I also commented on how this person could improve their post by adding more pictures and colour to make it a better and more attractive post.
The principal announced that 50% of the children in Ms. Stanzi's class met their reading goal for the month and that 55% of the children in Ms. Lowrey's class met their reading goal for the month. Ms. Stanzi's said that a greater number of her students met their reading goal. Could Ms. Stanzi be correct? Why or why not.
I thnk Ms. Stanzi can be correct if she has more students than Ms. Lowrey to make her statement true because Ms. Lowrey has a larger % of students that have done their reading goal, but if Ms. Stanzi doesn't have more students, she is incorrect and she'll have fewer students that have done their reading goal because she has a lower % than Ms. Lowrey. So she has to have more students for this statement to be true.
1) Ms. Stanzi could be right about her class or not. So lets first create a scenario and and a number of students for each class. Let's say that Ms. Stanzi has 30 students in her class and according to the principal, 50% or half of them met the reading goal for the month (30 /2 = 15 ) , so 15 of the students in her class would have met their reading goal. Now let's Ms. Lowrey had more students and she had 40 students in her class and according to the principal, 55% of them met the reading goal for the month ( 40 /55 = 22 ) , so 22 of the students in her class would have met their reading goal. Now we know that Ms. Stanzi can't be correct now because Ms. Lowrey has 22 and Ms. Stanzi has 15 students who met their reading goal.
2) Let's try swapping the number of students between each class now. Ms. Stanzi will have 20 (40/50=20) and Ms. Lowrey will have 16.5 (30/100=0.3x55= 16.5) students that have met their reading goal because one student only did half of their reading goal. Now the tables have turned and now Ms. Stanzi has a greater number of students that have met their reading goal.
3) Now let's say they both had the same amount of students which we will make 30 for each class. Ms Stanzi would still be incorrect about about her statement because 50% of 20 is 10 which will be the amount of students that have met their reading goal in Ms. Stanzi's class. Ms. Lowrey would have more students that have met their reading goal because 55% of 20 is 11, so she would have 11 students that met their reading goal, so she still has more.
Use a hundred grid (unit square) to illustrate the following questions. Once you have explained and illustrated what the question means solve it.
a) 16 is 40% of what number?
The 40 is the number of square that are shaded in. The 16 is how much the 40 square are worth. To answer this question, we first have to put these numbers into fractions. We then divide 16 by 40 = 0.40 (1%) and multiply the answer by 100 = 40. 16 is 40% of 40. This is correct because we first get the percents, which is 40/100 and then we get the number and the total of the numbers we are trying to find and put them into a fraction, which would be 16/40. Then we divide those two fractions ( 40/100 & 16/40 ) into decimals to make sure they are right. 40 divided by 100 = 0.4 and 16 divided by 40 = 0.4. That is how I this answer is correct.
b) What is 120% of 30?
The first thing we do here is we find 1% by dividing 100 by 30 = 0.3 . After that divide 120 by 100 = 1.20. Then we multiply 1.20 by 0.3 = 36.120% of 30 is 36, which would be 36/30. I know this is correct because 120/100 which is 36/30 in a percentage equals 1.2 as a decimal. Then we do the exact same with 36/30 and that would also equal 1.2, and that's how I know this answer is correct.
THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I MARKED:
These people have GREAT posts with detailed answers and nice pictures. Their posts are clear and easy to understand, so I recommend them to you if you are have trouble with your growing post or if you just want to look at a really GOOD growing post.